In this module, you will be measuring your personal cultural values and comparing it to Hofstede’s dimensions of culture for the culture in which you live. Please start by filling out the following instrument: CVSCALE: The Five-Dimensional Measure of Personal Cultural Values (see attached CVSCALE excel file). Then in your weekly journal, reflect on the following questions:
- What did the CVSCALE reveal about your cultural values?
- How does this compare to your own country’s values according to Hofstede’s research?
- What other insights about cultural values have you gained from this questionnaire, the readings, and other aspects of the course so far that will be valuable to you in leading across different cultures?
The following article may be helpful to you in interpreting your results and reflecting on the insights from this assessment on leadership:
Yoo, B., Naveen D., & Lenartowicz, T. (2011). “Measuring Hofstede’s Five Dimensions of Cultural Values at the Individual Level: Development and Validation of CVSCALE,”(see attached PDF file). Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 23 (3/4), 193–210.
SLP Assignment Expectations
- The journal is a cumulative document—you turn in all previous entries with each module, (first journal is attached)
- Include the results from the assessment in your journal.
- Each module should add 2–3 pages.
- The journal should be thoughtful and insightful, integrating learnings from the assessment with other activities in the module and course.
- The format for the journal is less formal than an academic papers (e.g. you can use the 1st person), but you should use headings to organize your thoughts and guide the reader and cite any sources where you are using information, data, or text from an outside source.
- Any references should be prepared in APA format in a combined reference list at the end of the journal.
- Your journal should be edited and error-free.