Part one discussion question (around 120 words)
Discovering Product Assortments Online:
Most companies manufacture a wide range of products that they then offer to consumers. How companies that offer multiple products and product lines manage those offerings is of extreme importance to the overall success of the company.
- Proctor & Gamble [http://www.pg.com]
- Kraft Foods [http://www.kraft.com/]
- Gillette.com [http://www.gillette.com/]
- General Motors [http://www.gm.com]
- General Mills [http://www.generalmills.com]
Using the Internet, visit one of the corporate sites listed above. Browse through the site and find where they discuss their product offerings (usually under the brands heading). How have they defined their product mix? How many different product lines do they offer? Discuss both the breadth and depth of the product mix. Pick three of their products and tell which type of product they are (convenience, shopping, or specialty) and why the company produces that type of product.
Part 2 PowerPoint
- PowerPoint (20 to 30 slides with notes) (use of appropriate graphs is encouraged)
- Read Case 9 – Research in Motion-Entering a New Era
- Identify and write the main issues found discussed in the case (who, what, how, where and when (the critical facts in a case).
- List all indicators (including stated “problems”) that something is not as expected or as desired.
- Briefly analyze the issue with theories found in your textbook or other academic materials. Decide which ideas, models, and theories seem useful. Apply these conceptual tools to the situation. As new information is revealed, cycle back to sub steps a and b.
- Identify the areas that need improvement (use theories from your textbook)
- Specify and prioritize the criteria used to choose action alternatives.
- Discover or invent feasible action alternatives.
- Examine the probable consequences of action alternatives.
- Select a course of action.
- Design and implementation plan/schedule.
- Create a plan for assessing the action to be implemented.